Chef’s Recipe by Vijesh Modi (Sr. Sous Chef) from The Deltin, Daman.
For Pistachio Barfi
Pistachios 1 cup
Milk Powder- ¼ cup
Corn flour -1 tsp
Powdered sugar -1 tbsp
Edible green colour 4-5 drops
Condensed milk -2 tbsp
Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
2 tbsp pistachios blanched, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons almonds, blanched, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons walnut, chopped
4-5 drops Kewra essence
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
a few saffron strands(optional)
1. Place a small size pan over medium heat and add the shelled pistachios.
2. Roast the pistachios at medium low heat by continuously flipping so that they don’t get burn. Now let the pista cool down and then grind them in mixer to a fine powder.
3. You may sieve the powder to get rid of any bits of pista left. Roasting helps to grind the pista into fine powder.
4. Now let the pista cool down and then grind them in mixer to a fine powder. You may sieve the powder to get rid of any bits of pista left.
5. Now add the milk powder, sugar, cardamom powder and corn flour. Mix it well; add few drops of edible green food color. Add 1 tbsp of condensed milk.
6. Mix it with hand, it will turn into crumbly texture; again add 1 tbsp of condensed milk. Now you will be able to form dough. If not add little more condensed milk. Chop the dry fruits and set aside.
7. In a small pan take 1 tsp of butter or ghee (clarified butter) on low heat, add 1 ½ tbsp of condensed milk and stir it. Add chopped dry fruits, cardamom powder and kewra essence. Stir for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
8. Now keep the filling mixture aside. Now roll out this dough in between 2 sheets of plastic till it is 5 mm. Cut 12 squares pieces, you may roll again the scrap pieces or enjoy them as pista barfi
9. Meet the centre point of pieces and join the other half part of barfi. Press it firmly to give a conical shape.
10. Divide the filling into 8 equal portions. Fill it in the cones with the help of a spoon and garnish with silver leaf and chopped pistachios. Your home made Pista paan mithai is ready to serve.